Tuesday, January 31, 2017

GAP TOOTHED SMILE (PERFECT BEAUTY OR DENTAL MALFUNCTION?)

Image result for front tooth gap beauty
Gap front teeth .Source:Pinterest
     That's a complicated question right there. So, we are currently taking a course in dental morphology and we get to this chapter on form and function of teeth just after occlusion. This is something to do with teeth alignment in the mouth and stuff like spacing of teeth. Good thing about having instructors  who have practiced as dental hygienists before and have been in the field for sometime is that they always have lots and lots of real life case scenarios to share from the dental offices.

        While we were discussing about the proximal contacts areas the instructor mentions something something about the gab in the front maxillary (diastema) and how they have had people go in the dental office to have it 'fix'. Now that got my attention. Reason this got my attention is not only because I have a gap in my front teeth ( I do not pay attention to it and do not even think about it). By the way my brother Dennis has one and my nephew (His son Mark) has one too. It's a family thing I think.
         So the reason this got my attention was because in some parts of Africa and in particular Kenya, there's is a lot of cultural significance attached to the front teeth gap. So much that it has virtually made some families 'wealthy'. If a girl has a gap between her teeth she was and is till considered to be a perfect beauty. As with African traditions once a man marries you have to pay dowry to the girls family as a show of appreciation for having brought up the girl you wanted to marry. Now, if the girl happens to have a gap between the front teeth the dowry was going to be much more than that of a 'plain smiled girl'. Without a gap. If someone had lets say 6 girls all with gaps between the teeth he gained a lot of respect from his peers and could easily gain a leadership position as he was seen a person with potential to get very wealthy after dowry payment.

                                                   
     I remember as a young boy people looking at my brother and saying to my parents, "well,its a shame they are not girls!" In my tribe it doesn't mean a thing if a man has a gap between his teeth and if it was considered  something that needed fixing I'm figuring out that maybe my mum would have 'fixed' ours. But I remember some girls going to her dental office to get he gap between their teeth so as to have perfect smiles or others to have more dowry paid to their parents once they got married.

     So much has been discussed about the gap in the front teeth and I feel kind of lucky to have grown up partly in a entirely different African  culture and now living in a different American culture as things get very interesting sometimes. I'm sure there is still so much to learn and appreciate and once again, beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. For example In a recent Cosmopolitan column, "Orange Is the New Black" actor Uzo Aduba -- aka fan favorite Crazy Eyes -- shares how she came to love her front tooth gap. Growing up in the U.S. where a so-called "perfect" smile involves two straight rows of (probably braces-assisted) space-free teeth, Aduba long felt self-conscious about her gap, which didn't sit well with her Nigerian mother: This is what she had to say;
Growing tired of my persistence, my mother sat me down. "Uzo, I will not close your gap and here's why. You have an Anyaoku gap, my family's gap." She told me the history of her lineage and how much of her family, extended and immediate, had this gap. It's a signature in the village she grew up in. People know the Anyaokus, in large part, by that gap. They also revered them for it. In Nigeria, my mom explained, a gap is a sign of beauty and intelligence (Take that, Chiclets!). People want it. My mother desperately wished she had the gap but wasn't born with one. She continued to lay on the guilt, explaining that my gap was "history in my mouth"...
There you have it folks! In some parts of Japan, having crooked and black teeth showed signs of sexual maturity and strength. This practice is dying down and now strongly embraced by some older Vietnamese ladies and some youth in japan who even goes to the dentist to have their teeth chipped to look crooked. Once again, there's so much cultural significance attached to teeth in a lot of societies around the world but what is their clinical significance or impact on their oral health? This is something that I would love to pursue deeply in future!
Thanks for reading and let me know what you think about the diastema in the comment section below especially if you are a dental professional.  


2 comments:

  1. very interesting!both my sons have diastemas, but not my daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs O!
      Thank you so much for stopping by,reading and commenting!
      Well, if it's just your sons I'm afraid that potential lottery ticket of the gap just escaped from you!But again,not sure if Americans pay dowry!

      Delete